A place for treasure hunting
COLDEST’S LOST TREASURE 2020
THE 2020 TREASURE MEDALLION HAS BEEN FOUND AT NEWELL PARK!
SPECIAL THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT REGISTERED FOR THE HUNT! WE HOPE TO SEE YOU IN MAY 2021 FOR THE NEXT COLDEST’S LOST TREASURE HUNT!
HUGE CONGRATULATIONS TO TEAM MED AKA Matt Littlefield AND Ed Brodie FOR FINDING THE 2020 TREASURE MEDALLION ON CLUE 11 AT NEWELL PARK IN ST PAUL! THEY ARE REGISTERED HUNTERS THAT WILL TAKE HOME THE WHOLE CASH PRIZE OF $370 + THE PRIZE PACKAGE. MATT LITTLEFIELD ALSO WON AN EXTRA $25 FOR FINDING TWO 5 WEEKENDS OF TREASURE CHESTS A FEW MONTHS AGO, HE ALSO REGISTERED BEFORE 5/20 SO ADD ANOTHER $25 TO MAKE THE TOTAL PRIZE AMOUNT $420!!!
CONGRATULATIONS TO JAKE INGEBRIGTSON FOR FINDING THE BONUS HUNT FOR THE CRITICAL CLUE. THIS MINI HUNT WAS HELD AFTER THE MAIN HUNT WAS FINISHED SINCE THE CRITICAL CLUE WENT UNFOUND THIS YEAR.
THE HIDING VIDEO HAS BEEN POSTED TO OUR FACEBOOK GROUP, LINK AT BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE.
2020 COLDEST'S LOST TREASURE CLUES AND EXPLANATIONS
We welcome all, to our main treasure hunt ball.
go hit the parks and enjoy the spring sun.
Within coexistence, please keep your distance.
Follow all guidelines and resect everyone.
As Covid raids, and 2020 fades,
We all strive for fun and distraction.
Try not to panic, in this world of magic.
Connect with a supernatural attraction.
A bird full of rage, and a spike uncaged,
Will guide you along more than a few steps.
Whether small tyke, or old like Mike,
this would be a hotspot to place your bets.
* Keyword "ball" is a reference to the basketball court near the treasure site.
* Keyword "parks" lets you know it's hidden in a park.
* "Follow all guidelines" is a reference to the sign near the woods that reads "No camping, No staying overnight".
* "2020 fades" was a hint at Fairview Avenue. If you have perfect 2020 vision and it fades one could say you have a fair view.
* The supernatural attraction is the Druid's magical oak, as the treasure was hidden a few feet from a big oak tree.
* The "bird of rage" is Angry birds, the main bird in the game is a cardinal, Stanford's basketball team is the cardinals as this clue has a basketball theme to it with mentioning "ball"and "Mike", which is a overall reference to Stanford Newell whom which the park is named after. The "Spike uncaged" is Spike from Tom and Jerry, Spike is a bulldog and while using the basketball theme the Butler Bulldogs should come to mind, overall hinting at Pierce Butler Route bordering the park. This hint needed more than a few steps to crack as the clue mentions.
* Keyword "tyke" is a reference to Young street, nearby the treasure site.
* "Old like Mike" is a reference to Michael Jordan and the nearby basketball court.
* The "hotspot" would be between the basketball court (Mike), and Young street. this gives you the woodsy search area.
* Hot spot "is also a double meaning for the fire pit as there are not a while to of parks with fire pits, also one would place a bet while playing poker so you can loosely get "fire poker" for the fire pit if you wanted to go further.
We all need protection, to avoid infection.
The treasure is social distancing, you should too.
Solve our mystery, with a little wizardry,
Merlin and his forest leaves behind clues.
* The first line is a reference to the concealer, wrapped in a medical face mask tucked inside a Sudafed flu box.
* Keyword "protection" is also a reference to the protective sleeves that protects small trees to they can grow, the treasure was placed near one of the sleeves.
* "The treasure is social distancing" means the treasure will not be found by near any type of gathering areas such as picnic pavilions, playgrounds, courts, ballfields etc.
* The last line mentions Merlin and his magical forest called Broceliande. Merlin is a magical druid, and they believe that oak trees give them power, Broceliande is a huge predominantly oak. Newell Park is known for its many oak trees within the park. Merlin also had a famous hill and tree, he was also trapped within a oak tree by Vivian or AKA Nimue in Broceliande.The treasure was also hidden near an oak tree.
* all the Welsh references also hint at the Celtic Junction near the park.
* Keyword "leaves" hints that the Treasure is hidden amongst leaves.
You're in for a treat, if you can find your beat.
Your journey will be so sweet and perfect.
if you inhale one mana, you'll go bananas!
Just jive on down it will all be worth it.
* Keywords "treat" and "sweet" are both references to Sweet Martha's Cookies in the fairgrounds on Liggett street.
* Keyword "Perfect" is a reference to the Perfect Pickle in the fairgrounds on Liggett street.
* If you look on an arial view on the north end of Liggett street , you will see a reddish circular shape the reusables the side of a Beats by Dre headphone (find your beat).
* "Inhale one mana" is an anagram for " Elaine Monahan. She found the Winter Carnival Medallion in 1953 at the State Fairgrounds near the poultry building on Liggett Street.
* Lastly the Keyword "Jive" is for the Java Jive also on Liggett street. If you would "Jive on down"so to speak south from Liggett street, it points directly at Newell Park.
If it's treasure you're trackin, then stop the slacken.
It's sitting pretty just as you like it.
Lots of trees and hills should conjure your thrills.
But you should only stand for the right fit.
* Keyword "trackin is a reference to the train tracks near Newell Park.
* The second line is a reference to how the Treasure Medallion was hidden. It was on the ground at the base of a small sapling near a big oak tree. Always easier to find when a medallion is next to the base of an object.
*The 3rd line is a reference to the topography of Newell Park, It is known for its rolling hills and oak trees. Also the Treasure Medallion was hidden on a woodsy hill.
* "stand for" is both word play and an anagram for "Stanford", a hint at Stanford Newell whom tNewell Park is named after.
* "The right fit" is a reference to Taylor Street.
Our great northern waters, will get you hotter,
If you time warp back to the days of yore.
Do not back down, earn your Corona Crown,
Within a park south of 694.
* "Great northern waters" is a reference to the current Burlington Pond near Newell park. The second line tells you to look at history, the former name of the Burlington Pond is Great Northern Pond.
* "Do not back down" is another hint that you should be on a hill.
* "Corona Crown" is another name for the Civic Crown. It was a military award regarded as the second highest honor a citizen could earn, It was given for victory over a foe. The Civic Crown woven with oak leaves, the Treasure Medallion is covered in oak leaves.
* Newell Park is south of 694. This clue at least got rid of a few cities and big bodies of water.
While online scoutin, link a few nearby mountains,
To be inclined to feel a bit cocky.
Go dive straight in for a Splinter Lake win,
Perhaps your journey won't be so rocky.
* If you look up Splinter Lake it is a Lake located in Montana, this clue tells you to do some scouting online. Looking at an arial view, there are a few surrounding mountains of interest. The mountains you should link is: Little Park Mountain, Twin Peaks (Newell's Picnic Shelters), and East Woods Mountain (hidden on the east side of the park in the woods).
* Keyword "link" is a reference to all the residents fence lines near the woods. The woods is almost completely fenced in.
* Keyword "incline" is another reference that you should be on a hill.
* "Splinter Lake win" is an anagram for "It's in Newell Park". If you got the anagram your journey wouldn't be so rocky (no need to scout the mountains). Two paths to take with this clue.
When in the kitchen, it helps to pitch in,
When serving up some sticky black bats stew.
Not to your delight? What a wasteful sight!
A delicacy only for a few.
* Keyword "kitchen" is a reference to Newell's Kitchen in their building you can rent. Not many parks have a kitchen.
* Keyword "Pitch" is a amenity reference for Newell's baseball field.
* Keyword "serving" is a reference to Pierce BUTLER Route boarding Newell Park.
* "Sticky black bats" is an anagram for "It's by Black Stack", Black Stack Brewery is near Newell Park.
* "Wasteful sight" is reference to the Compost Waste site near Newell Park.
A site for sports, but they had to abort,
Other decisions and plans were made.
It's hard to tell, if you're under my spell.
Maybe some training will help get you paid.
* The first two lines are a reference to the old Midway Stadium just north of Newell Park where the Saint Paul Saints used to play. Back then you could hear the games if you were Newell Park.
* the third line is a warning that there is a herring at play.
*Keyword "training" is a reference to the firefighters training tower that still stands next to the old Midway Stadium site.
Can you wonder of a land, that be so grand?
With mystical hills and treasure to unearth.
The druid's magical oak, could bring hope,
If you fail you'll still get your penny's worth.
* "Can you wonder of a land" is wordplay for Can Can Wonderland near Newell Park.
* The second line tells you again to be on a hill and the treasure is on the ground covered.
* The third line tells you the treasure is hidden near an oak tree.
* "penny's worth" is wordplay for Alfred PENNYWORTH. Batman's BUTLER, a reference to Pierce Butler Route boarding Newell.
Still spellbound by herring? Please no swearing!
Confine your search to the city of St Paul.
Sitting on the ground, the prize is safe and sound,
Where the hills roll and where the oak grows tall.
Beneath your prized grail, lies the Bridal Veil.
Nature holds secrets and treasure to boast.
Site of an old rec, will aid your treasure trek.
Finding 18 tires will get you pretty close.
* The treasure was hidden in St Paul, on the ground.
* "Safe and sound" is a reference to a Taylor Swift song. The Treasure Medallion was hidden in the wood in line with Taylor street.
* The 4th line refers to Newell Park's rolling hills and large amount of oak trees.
* The Midway Heights Neighborhood is above the Bridal Veil Creek Watershed.
* "Nature holds secrets and treasure" is a reference to the oak leaves that cover the treasure.
* The Newell Park Pavilion used to be a recreation center long ago.
* "18 tires has a double meaning. 1st its a reference to the semi trucks going in an out the BNSF train yard. 2nd it's a reference to Wheeler street (18 wheeler), which runs close to the woods.
* The first letters of each line of the second stanza spell BNSF, referring to the BNSF train yard near Newell Park.
Feeling shifty? Then let's end this swiftly.
Shake it off, you're not out of the woods just yet.
Go set your mark, in one of the oldest parks.
On Merlin's hill, near his tree, you'll be set.
Follow the theme, of your wildest dreams.
Ready for it? End game is in sight.
In this section, look for protection.
Mobilize camp, just don't stay overnight.
Treasure is calling, where Yggdrasil has fallen,
From it's branches the treasure was flung.
Over the leafy site, shines 3 rays of light.
But these riches are only for the young.
* Keyword "shifty" is a reference to the semi trucks.
* Keyword "swiftly is a reference to Taylor Swift.
* Shake it off, Out Of The Woods, Wildest Dreams, Ready For it, End Game, and Only for the Young are all Taylor Swift songs. The Treasure Medallion was hidden in line with Taylor Street.
* Newell Park is one of St Paul's oldest parks.
* The Treasure was hidden on a hill near an oak tree.
* "Follow the theme" is telling you to follow Taylor street to the treasure.
* Within the section/line of Taylor street look for a sleeve that protects the small saplings, the treasure is hidden a few feet from it.
* "Camp and don't stay over night" are referring to the sign nearby the woods that states that you cannot cup overnight.
* Yggdrasil is a big oak tree, also called the Tree of life. There is a big fallen oak tree near the Treasure site.
* From the big fallen oak tree, one should search in direction in which it fell, as if the treasure got flung.
* "leafy site" is referring to the leafy bed that covers the treasure.
* "3 rays of light" is a reference to a prop I had hidden. Above the treasure hangs a Neo-Druid amulet, the 3 rays of light. the position is which it's hanging looks like 3 rays of light are shining down on the Treasure Medallion.
* Keyword "young" is a reference to Young street new the woods and treasure site.
Looking for me Jewels? Then head for Newell!
Welcome to the land of Midway Heights.
Current events, have us all perplexed,
So we changed the clue time due to frights.
Start your treasure trot, from the parking lot.
Warp on over to the basketball court.
Find two green tables, near a stump if able.
Head east up the trail don't come up short.
Stop at the fallen limb, and start your grin,
Head to the left up the leafy incline.
Look to the leaves, near a protective sleeve.
Find Mr. Rough and Ready and get in line.
* X MARKS THE SPOT.
ALTERNATE PATH CLUE
A little bit of thought, is better than not.
But it will still take much skill to find it.
Aye aye captain, the crowd be clapping,
Jump ahead so you won't have to grind it.
In quarantine it waits, for you to place.
the year it was found will give your sprit a burst.
It wasn't built in one day, but bricks they lay.
Be sure to be the one who gets here first.
* "A little bit of thought" is a reference to the Little Library the Critical Clue is hidden in.
* Keyword "skill" is a reference to Skillman street near Keller Mayflower Park.
* Keyword "captain" is a reference to a ship, in this case t he Mayflower ship.
* There is a lot of references to a race in this clue: crowd be clapping, jump ahead, to place,sprint, burst, get here first. they are all references to Belmont Street (Belmont Stakes) that boarders Keller Mayflower Park.
* " In quarantine it waits" is a reference to the Little Library again, it look like a mini house.
* The very last line is also a reference to the Mayflower ship. The Mayflower brought some of the very first european settlers to America.
* The Critical clue was hidden in a fake Rome book that has a secret safe inclosed with a number lock. To open the lock input the year Rome was founded, 753.
ALTERNATE PATH CLUE #2 ( BONUS MINI HUNT SINCE IT WENT UNFOUND).
Under your noses, the city of roses,
Is where the Critical Clue has been hiding.
Focus on a race, to find the secret place.
Near a skilled man with a horse for riding.
Look for May flowers, to feel empowered.
This time the prize is hidden off the ground.
Come take a trip, on Mr Jone's ship.
Now tell me, do we have a new Triple Crown?
* The Critical Clue was hidden in Roseville.
* "Skilled man" is a reference to Skillman street near the park.
* "Race, "horse for riding" and "Triple Crown" are all references to Belmont street near the park.
* " Mays flowers" refers to Keller MAYFLOWER Park.
* It's hidden off the ground.
* Christopher Jones owned the Mayflower ship.
Regain your bearings, and dispel the herring,
Keep your search within the city of St Paul.
Here the Druids dwell, and conjure their spells,
The power of the oak beckons and calls.
In your craziest dream, a single sunbeam,
And a maid of rubber are primed for inspection.
You found our oak forest, time to floor it.
This amulet guides and offers protection.
* Tells you it's in St Paul and there was a herring at play.
* The Treasure was hidden near a big oak tree.
* Craziest Dram is a hint at Taylor Swifts song Wildest Dreams. The treasure is hidden in line with Taylor street.
* "Sunbeam, and maid of rubber' are references to the brands Sunbeam and Rubber Maid. Which both from the manufacturer, Newell Products.
* There is a Druid amulet in the fake book called the 3 rays of light. it guides you to a second amulet hanging above the treasure site. "Protection" hints that the second amulet is near a sleeve that protects a small sapling in the woods, very close to the Treasure Medallion.
* THE FINDER OF THE 5TH CHEST FROM THE 5 WEEKENDS OF TREASURE EVENT THAT WAS HELD A FEW MONTHS BEFORE THE HUNT SHOULD LOOK INSIDE OF THE CHEST AT IT'S BASE. THERE IS A FAKE FLOOR TO THE CHEST. ONCE PEELED BACK YOU WILL FIND A GREEN LAMINATED NOTE, IT READS: CONGRATULATION YOU HAVE FOUND OUR SECRET CLUE! 2020 COLDEST LOST TREASURE "VERY OLD". IT HINTS AT NEWELL PARK AS ITS ONE OF THE OLDEST PARKS IN ST PAUL FOUNDED IN 1908.
While stuck in the house, we’d like to announce.
Our great annual premiere event.
8 years of pleasure, for Coldest’s Lost Treasure.
Hidden with safety and adventurous intent.
Picking up a book, or going out to look.
Make sure to follow every precaution.
We must stay clean, to combat Covid 19
Sanitize and wash your hands much often.
With no delay, the 20th of May -
Will not derail - our hunts staying on track.
Will you make your stamp? Become our new champ?
Or will Josh and his gang go back to back?
* Stuck in the house and book hint at the Little Library shaped like a house and the Rome book, what the Critical Clue was hidden in.
* “Derail”hints to a park near train tracks.
More About Medallion Militia
More coming soon!